6 Month Part-time Certificate Program
Become part of the health care administration team, working in a fast paced, demanding and rewarding environment. This non-credit, part-time program will prepare you with the knowledge and skills required to work in the medical administration field. The focus is on preparation for employment as a Hospital Unit Coordinator and other medical settings. The program will also benefit staff currently employed in the medical field who require cross training, professional development, or retraining.
The Hospital Unit Coordinator (HUC) performs a variety of non-clinical tasks at the communication center at the nursing station of a hospital, continuing care center and other medical facilities. The role is also referred to as Nursing Unit Assistant or Hospital Unit Clerk.
The program consists of the following courses:
- Orientation & Skills For Student Success
- Hospital & Unit Communications
- Non-Clinical Pharmacology
- Unit Coordinator Procedures & Observation
- Observational Practicum
- Unit Coordinator Practicum
Courses are offered on a part-time basis over two semesters, starting in September of each year.
Courses are typically scheduled for two evenings a week (i.e., 6-9pm) and one day on the weekend (i.e., 9am-4pm).
The practicum is individually scheduled during the last month of the program. Practicums may be located across Vancouver Island and we do our best to place you in your "home", or preferred, location.
- Grade 12 graduation, or equivalent
- Medical Terminology and Anatomy & Physiology (OSME 002) within the last 2 years, or equivalent
- Keyboarding speed of 50 cwpm or greater
- Computer Skills: successful completion of computers course or a letter that details computer systems and programs that you use and know. Basic computer literacy is required. If you have not recently taken an introductory computer course but are comfortable using computers, please provide a letter outlining the programs you can use, your capability of setting up files and sub-files, saving and printing documents, performing internet searches, etc.
Proof of the following must be provided prior to your first day of practicum. It is recommended to complete these requirements before the first day of the program.
- Immunizations (Hepatitis B, MMR, Flu, Negative TB screen, Tetanus & Diphtheria, Polio, Chickenpox (Varicella), and Flu Vaccine) - download form here: immunization_requirements.pdf
- A satisfactory Criminal Record Check.
- Criminal Record Check for working with children and / or vulnerable adults must be requested through VIU; a check through RCMP is not sufficient to meet the requirement. Present the completed form along with the processing fee to the cashiers in Building 200. The cashier will stamp the form and direct you to Registration, where you will present the form along with two pieces of government-issued ID. Registration is open M-F 8:30am-3:30pm. Please note it may take up to 6 weeks to process.
- HSPnet Consent - download form here: HSPnet_Student_Consent_form.pdf. Please note students who have a previous relationship with VIHA (i.e., a VIHA email address) must let us know.
To meet the Keyboarding admission requirement, or for any other assessments you may need, please contact VIU Student Affairs Assessment and Exam Invigilation Services. Assessments are available at Nanaimo, Powell River and Cowichan.
2019-2020 Important Program Dates*:
|Admissions Open / Applications Accepted||February 22, 209|
|Information Session||March 6, 2019|
|Application Deadline**||June 21, 2019|
|Registration Deadline & Non-Refundable $200 Tuition Deposit Due||Within 3 weeks of admission offer|
|Balance of Tuition Due||August 16, 2019|
|Last Day to Withdraw (no refunds will be issued after this date)||August 16, 2019|
|Program Start||September 17, 2019|
|Program End||March 20, 2020|
*Dates are subject to change
**Applications must be submitted with all required documentation. If pre-requisites are in-progress, conditional acceptance may be granted as long as courses / assessments are completed before program start. Late applications will be considered if seats are available.
Tuition and fees subject to final approval
2019-2020 Tuition: $4791.35
Student Union Fees and Student Activity Fees: ~ $300
Textbooks: ~ $300
As this program is part-time, it is not eligible for student loans.
Students must successfully complete all six courses in the program in order to be eligible for the program certificate.
Students are required to attend all scheduled lectures, observations, examinations, and practicum hours. If you do not meet the attendance requirement, you may not qualify for the program certificate.
How to Apply:
It's fast and easy to APPLY ONLINE.
An application fee is required.
We are happy to answer any questions you may have. Please feel free to contact us!
Deidre Godwin, Program Assistant,
Professional Development & Training (H&HS)
Last revised November 27, 2018