3 Month Full-time Certificate Program
- Medical Office Assistant - Program Guide
Build your career in the health care field. The Medical Office Assistant supports doctors and other health care professionals in a variety of medical settings.
Graduates will be prepared for employment as Medical Office Assistants in medical offices and specialist offices. Skills may also be transferable to positions in other medical settings.
The program consists of the following courses:
- Pharmacology For The Medical Office
- Interpersonal Skills In The Medical Environment
- Medical Office Procedures
- Computerized Medical Billing
- Keyboarding And Computers In The Medical Environment
- Medical Transcription
- Observational Practicum for MOA's
The 2018 program will take place at Nanaimo & Parksville Campuses. Classes may be during the day, evenings and weekends, 3 to 4 days a week. Classes are scheduled to reflect a full-time program; therefore this program is eligible for student loans.
- Math 11: Intro to Math 11, Trades Math 11, Applications or Principles of Math 11, Math 041, 045, 046, 047, Accounting 11 or the MOA Math Assessment Test
- English 12, with a minimum mark of "C", or equivalent, or the MOA English Assessment Test
- Keyboarding: 40 correct wpm required
- Computer Skills: successful completion of Introduction to Computers within the past 2 years, OR, a letter with your application detailing the systems and programs you use and know
- Successfull completion of OSME 002: Medical Terminology and Anatomy, Physiology (or approved equivalent) taken within the last two years.
The Medical Office Assistant Certificate program will not be offered in 2018/2019 in order to undergo curriculum revisions. We look forward to launching the program again in 2019/2020!
Please refer to the Program Availability List for more information on all Professional Development & Training certificate programs and other opportunities.
Deidre Godwin, Program Assistant
Professional Development & Training
Faculty of Health & Human Services
Revised April 2018