3 Month Full-time Certificate Program
- Medical Office Assistant - Program Guide
Build your career in the health care field. The Medical Office Assistant supports doctors and other health care professionals in a variety of medical settings.
Graduates will be prepared for employment as Medical Office Assistants in medical offices and specialist offices. Skills may also be transferable to positions in other medical settings.
The program consists of the following courses:
- Pharmacology For The Medical Office
- Interpersonal Skills In The Medical Environment
- Medical Office Procedures
- Computerized Medical Billing
- Keyboarding And Computers In The Medical Environment
- Medical Transcription
- Observational Practicum for MOA's
The 2019 program will take place at the VIU Parksville Campus.
Classes will be during the week, with the potential of an occasion weekend day, for a total of 4 days a week.
Classes are scheduled to reflect a full-time program; therefore this program is eligible for student loans!
For Parksville Residents Only:
A training and living subsidy is available to eligible Parksville residents for post-secondary training: https://www.careercentre.org/training-support-program/
- Math 11: Intro to Math 11, Trades Math 11, Applications or Principles of Math 11, Math 041, 045, 046, 047, Accounting 11 or the MOA Math Assessment Test
- English 12, with a minimum mark of "C", or equivalent, or the MOA English Assessment Test
- Keyboarding: 40 correct wpm required
- Computer Skills: successful completion of Introduction to Computers within the past 2 years OR a letter with your application detailing the systems and programs you use and know. Basic computer literacy is required. If you have not recently taken an introductory computer course but are comfortable using computers, please provide a letter outlining the programs you can use, your capability of setting up files and sub-files, saving and printing documents, performing internet searches, etc.
- Successful completion of OSME 002: Medical Terminology and Anatomy, Physiology (or approved equivalent) taken within the last two years of the program start date.
2019-2020 Important Program Dates*:
|Applications Open||March 1, 2019|
|Information Session||April 30, 2019|
|Applications Close**||July 31, 2019|
|Non-refundable $200 Tuition Deposit Due||3 weeks after offer of admission|
|Balance of Tuition Due||October 4, 2019|
|Last Day to Withdraw (no refunds after this date)||October 4, 2019|
|Program Start||November 5, 2019|
|Program End||February 21, 2020|
* Program Dates subject to change
** Late applications may be accepted if there is still room in the program
2019 - 2020 Program Fees:
All Tuition and Fees are subject to final approvals
Program Tuition: $4791.35
Student Union & Activity Fees: ~$150
Textbooks: ~ $300
Students must successfully complete all courses and the practicum in order to quality to receive the program certificate.
Please refer to the Program Availability List for more information on all Professional Development & Training certificate programs and other opportunities.
Deidre Godwin, Program Assistant
Professional Development & Training
Faculty of Health & Human Services
Revised November 27, 2018