Part-time Non-credit Certificate Program
Update: the next start date for the Master Gardner Program will be September 2019!
Attend a FREE Information Session
A collaboration between Vancouver Island University and Vancouver Island Master Gardeners Association.
Designed for the experienced home gardener, this is an intensive training program providing up-to-date information on all gardening basics. Through this program you will be able to:
- Meet other gardeners in an atmosphere of sharing and exploration
- Fill gaps in your gardening knowledge
- Provide satisfying solutions to future gardening problems
- Know where to find the answers to new challenges
- Give back to your community and share your joy of gardening.
The program consists of 78 hours of classroom training, followed by 70 hours of volunteer service. The classroom training component is delivered in a Saturday workshop format (12 sessions). The program will take place at the G.R. Paine Horticultural Training Centre in Nanaimo.
Classroom component covers a full range of gardening topics such as:
- Botany and plant identification
- Plant diseases, hardiness and protection
- Specialized information about specific plant types
- Sustainable landscape design
- Weed management
- Basic entomology and integrated pest management
Volunteer Service component is where students share their gardening knowledge and passion with the community, supported by experienced Master Gardeners.
Next Program: September 2019
- Experienced home gardener, prepared to share knowledge and enthusiasm with the gardening public.