Play a critical role in health care and work as a member of a team in a fast-paced environment. This program provides the knowledge and appropriate training in response to the increasing demand for trained medical device reprocessing technicians in BC. Students gain theory and application of principals related to decontamination, sterilization, storage and distribution of equipment in a medical device reprocessing area. Graduates will be prepared to work in a variety of settings from acute care hospitals to veterinary clinics.
Medical Device Reprocessing Technician: Theory (140 hours)
Gain theoretical knowledge required to work as entry-level Medical Device Reprocessing Technicians (MDRTs).
Medical Device Reprocessing Technician: Clinical Skills Basics (56 hours)
Practice valuable clinical skills in a controlled setting.
Medical Device Reprocessing Technician: Clinical/Practicum (344 hours)
Integrate your knowledge and skills in a real MDR setting.
This program is offered on a full-time basis over 4.5 months. The courses are delivered online, in-person, and on hospital sites.
Flexibility is required, particularly during the clinical/practicum as shifts can be scheduled from 0700 to 1900.
Practicum placements are currently hosted at Victoria General Hospital, Royal Jubilee Hospital and the Nanaimo Regional General Hospital. Students are responsible for securing accommodation and transportation to support their practicum experience.
The following requirements must be met for entry to the program:
- Grade 12 graduation, or acceptable equivalent
- Grade 12 English with a grade of "C" or better; or VIU English Assessment
- Successful completion of Medical Terminology and Anatomy & Physiology (OSME 002), or equivalent course, within 2 years of MDRT program start date
- Successful completion of Interpersonal Skills for Health Care Workers (HHIP 001), or equivalent course, within 2 years of MDRT program start date
Notes on Admissions:
- Absence of health problems that may affect ability to lift, stand for long periods, or perform repetitive movements;
- Absence of allergies to substances on the skin;
- Familiarity with computers and access to the Internet to participate in the online learning
- A satisfactory Criminal Record Check crc-consent.pdf is required prior to clinical placement.
- Criminal Record Checks must be requested through VIU; a check through RCMP is not sufficient to meet the requirement. Present the completed form along with the processing fee to the cashiers in Building 200. The cashier will stamp the form and direct you to Registration, where you will present the form along with two pieces of government-issued ID. Registration is open M-F 8:30am-3:30pm.
- A completed Immunization Requirements immunization_requirements.pdf and recent TB skin test report within 3 months of entering the program are required prior to the first day of class. (If the TB skin test is positive, a negative chest x-ray is required).
|Admissions Open / Applications Accepted||February 21, 2018|
|Application Deadline**||May 30, 2018|
|Registration Deadline & Non-refundable $200 Tuition Deposit Due||Within 3 weeks of admission offer|
|Balance of Tuition Due||August 10, 2018|
|Last day to withdraw (no refunds will be issued after this date)||September 14, 2018|
|Program Start||November 17, 2018|
|Program End||April 13, 2019|
* Dates are subject to change
** All applications must be submitted and complete with all required documentation. Late applications may be accepted if seats are available.
Student Union Fees: ~ $100
Student Activity Fees: ~ $250
Textbooks: There are no textbooks for this program
*** Tuition and Fees subject to final approval
This program is eligible for student loans.
A minimum of 75% is required in MDRT 001 and MDRT 002 in order to participate in MDRT 003.
To be eligible for the Certificate of Program Completion, the student must successfully complete all courses. A minimum of 75% is required to pass each course.
Students are required to attend all scheduled classes, labs, and practicum experiences. Students who do not meet the attendance requirement may not qualify to receive the Program Certificate.
Deirdre Godwin, Program Assistant,
Professional Development and Training (H&HS)
Please see Program Availability for up to date application information.